Friday 20 March 2009

Taking a closer look

Goodness it was cold on Friday.  A biting bise wind.  But gardeners go out in all weathers; and so, therefore, did we, albeit briefly. 

Our task was to find out a bit more about soil; specifically, what goes on underneath the surface.  What might we find lurking there?

IMG_4271

Armed with magnifying glasses…..

IMG_4263

and child-sized trowels and forks, we squatted down on our haunches (well, they did – I don’t think I have those any longer!) and so the hunt began.  Soon excited squeals were to be heard.

‘I’ve got a worm!’

IMG_4268

‘Eeee – a worm; eugh!’

IMG_4269

‘Another worm!’  All carefully put back into the garden (quite possibly soon to be ‘found’ again by another ‘hunter’!)

IMG_4267

And then, ‘Roman pottery!’  Hmm!

IMG_4264

And, ‘Look roots!’

 IMG_4266

Followed by, ‘I’ve got a plant.  It was buried!’

IMG_4265

As well as, ‘Rocks!  Rubbish!’  All of which went into the wheelbarrow.

IMG_4270

The only disappointment I think was that we didn’t find any snail eggs.  That and the fact the the millipede was too fast for my camera – all those legs, you see!

No comments:

Post a Comment